Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Movie Review: Bridesmaids

To get out of the house this last weekend, but still wanting to stay cool, I decided to take in a movie with friends.  I've never been a fan of boyish, bathroom humor movies like The Hangover, but something about Bridesmaids drew me to it.


Bridesmaids focuses on the engagement and wedding of Lillian (played my SNL veteran Maya Rudolph) who chooses her longtime friend Annie (played by fellow SNL veteran Kristen Wiig) to be her Maid of Honor.  The course to the altar doesn't go smoothly as issues of jealousy and disappointments, along with lots of laughs, leads to a very satisfying movie experience.

This is the kind of movie I could easily relate to and that definitely added to my enjoyment.  Annie is having a bit of a mid-life crisis.  She lost her bakery business, is stuck in a dead end job, almost broke, with no emotional support from her pseudo boyfriend (played by the raunchily funny, Jon Hamm).  Life seems to be passing her by as her friends are all married (or getting married) and fulfilled with their careers.  It's sad feeling left out, feeling like a third wheel, and those feelings make her act irrationally from time to time.  It's all done with humor though, and lots of it.  Ultimately, no matter how angry these women got with each other, they were still supportive of one another at the end of the day.  That was a very heartwarming thing to see and was another facet that I found very relatable.

The most humorous, and biggest scene stealer, is Melissa McCarthy (currently starring in CBS' Mike & Molly).  She plays Megan, the very strong-willed and outspoken friend, who finally rouses Annie out of her funk in a hilarious pep talk.  Whenever she came on screen you knew more laughs were coming soon.  She has a bright future in comedy going by the small glimpses of her seen here.

This was a very satisfying movie, both emotionally and comically, and realistically portrayed female friendships both good and bad.  The humor never really got crass and I never noticed a joke falling flat.  Some of the humor was subtle but most of it was laugh out loud.  This movie is perfect for women my age due to the moments of nostalgia and the life events occurring that we can all relate to.  So get the girls together and be ready to laugh in this humorous movie with a heart of gold.

My rating for this is a B+

2 comments:

  1. I loooved this movie, I haven't laughed so hard at a movie in a long time - and it even made me cry! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting Belle! I really enjoyed this movie and the interactions between the women, very realistic. Seeing Jon Hamm, who's normally very dapper, play such a smarmy character was very eye opening. For me, this was way more enjoyable than The Hangover.

    ReplyDelete